This project is read-only.

A brief history of GMobileSync

May 8, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Hi, everyone. This is a small, somewhat rambling, post about the GMobileSync code-set.

I got a Samsung Blackjack mobile in December 2006. As soon as I got home, I found that I couldn't easily sync Google Calendar with the mobile calendar. I searched for a little while and even looked at some existing solutions but in the end I didn't want to pay for something that <programmerVoice>I could probably write in a few hours</programmerVoice>.

And so, we have the birth of GMobileSync. It took about day and it did everything I wanted it to do. Then I put it online and the masses had other ideas. They wanted more features! So, like any programmer... I added a lot more features. Slowly but surely it got bigger than I could realistically handle (and keep free).

GMobileSync as it is right now is pretty solid. There are a few quirks and I have gotten lengthly emails from some people about the troubles they've had with some pretty weird Windows Mobile devices. However, there is room for improvement. I'll be the first one to admit it. Like I said, I wrote the vast majority of this code very quickly with zero planning and under very sleep deprived conditions. I have documented a pretty sizable amount of the code, though!

I've done my best to keep track of all of the reported (and verifiable) bugs. The big ones are in the Issue Tracker (here) now and I will keep adding them (as should everyone else).