"Parsing failed" errors on wm6.5

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM
Edited Jun 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM

I just installed 1.3.7 and 1.3.8b on wm 6.5 (from xda-developers) and was experiencing "Parsing Failed" errors.

I found a workaround in this Google Discussion. To cut a long story short if you are experiencing "Parsing failed" and "IndexOutOfRangeException" you should change your short date format in Regional Settings to yy-mm-dd.

As explained in the thread once this has been done and the sync has run, you can revert to whatever format you prefer, synchronisation will continue working.

fun stuff...
prefab

Developer
Jun 30, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Hi prefab,

Thank you for your information. I think this will be good workaround for solving the problem.

Actually, the thread you found on Google Groups was posted by me, but I didn't think of such a good workaround :)

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Edited Jun 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Hi lifanxi,

ROFL, did not make the connection :)

After additional testing, I found a couple more points:

The problem appears when the short date format is "ilegal". On the build I am using it was "dd MMM yy" (I suspect to make it look pretty on the Titanium menu). When you open the dropdownlist in Regional Settings the only "legal" separators are "-","/" and "." and you can choose any "legal" format to make GMobileSync work. Probably the "ilegal" short date format has been writen directly to the registry when initialising the OS. I have not tested rewriting this value back to the registry to see if GMobileSynccontinues working.

As mentioned in your original thread the solution should be in the code, as short and long dates appearance is only formatting and the code should not depend on this for parsing XML content (than again the last time I touched some code computers required freight trains to be mobile)

cheers

prefab

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Thanks much for this. This was a major break for me to move to 6.5, now that this works I think the transition will be much more easier for myself.