Development Environment

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2007 at 1:14 PM
I downloaded the source so I could see how I could help in development. This is the first time I've tried to use Visual Studio to do mobile application development.

I have Visual Studio standard running in a Virtual PC on Windows XP SP2. I was able to get Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK downloaded and installed. I think I installed Windows Moble 5 SDK at some point in the past, but since I could not find it for download I was hoping the bits were all included in the Windows Mobile 6 SDK.

When I tried to open the project, I got an error about the target platform not being available. I used the information found here:

http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2006/04/device-platform-not-found.html

to work around it. I get an error about the Source Control also. Maybe I need the Team System version of Visual Studio to access the source control? Anyway, I just ignored it.

I got the gdata.net.1098.zip from Google and added the dependent files to my project. I think the version I got is newer than the original target because I had to add a reference to Google.GData.AccessControl.dll.dll (ya, kinda goofy, but that's the name of the file).

I changed the target platform to Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK.

When I try to compile the solution I get an error I'm not sure if I should work around. I get an error that "The type or namespace name 'Utility' does not exist in the namespace 'RareEdge' (are you missing an assembly reference?)" on line 338 of GMobileSync.cs.:

return RareEdge.Utility.GetMd5Hash(checksum);

When I comment out that line and put something like:

return checksum;

the solution builds. Yay! I think if I just leave it checksum, I think it would work the same, just have longer strings to keep track of?
Jul 7, 2007 at 4:39 AM
I'm trying to do a similar thing. I live in the +9:30 timezone, and my events are coming up with the wrong time/day in Gcalendar. I thought I'd try to see how hard it would be to add my timezone.

After installing the WM5 Smartphone SDK, and the Google SDK (1099), I got the project to load in VS2005 (academic).
I did the checksum fix as described above. I'm now getting one more error.

Error 4 The type 'System.Uri' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'. C:\Documents and Settings\...\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\GMobileSync\GMobileSync.cs 443 13 GMobileSync

This error points to the type "AtomFeed" in this line of GMobileSync.cs:
AtomFeed feed = this._calendarService.Query(query);

Any suggestions? I'd really like to be able to dump outlook and switch to Thunderbird/G-Calendar, but I have to have a reliable calendar that I can sync with my phone.

Thanks,
Cyle
Jul 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM
Sorry, I checked and I could not find why you would be getting that error. Here is a link to a of my Solution Explorer so you can see what the references and Detected Dependencies are. Maybe something is different on yours.

http://www.balcoding.com/App_Content/fckeditor/Image/GMobileSyncSolutionExplorer.png
Aug 6, 2007 at 6:59 AM
I am getting the same error about System.Uri. I think it has something to do with the fact that the GData assemblies have references to the full .NET Framework assemblies instead of the compact framework versions.
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:21 PM
I've come back after a making no progress to see that you're now up to v1.3.5b! woohoo!
To get this version to compile, I upgraded the google sdk to 1.1.2.0. This has fixed the referencing issue. (although I'm still getting a warning about upgrading the assembly reference for system.dll and system.drawing.dll from ver 1.0.5 to 2.0 to eliminate the warning.) Where is this set in VS2005?

Now, GMobileSync builds successfully, but the GMSSetup doesn't. Here is the output:

Building file 'C:\Documents and Settings\...\GMobileSync\GMobileSyncSetup\Release\GMobileSyncSetup.cab'...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\smartdevices\sdk\sdktools\cabwiz.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\...\GMobileSync\GMobileSyncSetup\Release\GMobileSyncSetup.inf" /dest "C:\Documents and Settings\...\GMobileSync\GMobileSyncSetup\Release\" /err CabWiz.log

Windows CE CAB WizardWarning: Section RegKeys has no data
Warning: Section DefaultInstall key "AddReg" - there are no section entries to process
Error: CAB file "C:\Documents and Settings\...\GMobileSync\GMobileSyncSetup\Release\GMobileSyncSetup.CAB" could not be created

ERROR: The Windows CE CAB Wizard encountered an error.

Still hoping to help,
Cyle